Monday, May 9, 2011

I got crafty...

My good friend Jenn was getting rid of some frames, and so I took them off her hands. One was a poster frame and one was just a good sized plain black frame. I had seen a couple of ideas on different craft blogs I follow and decided to try my hand at being crafty.  


 First, I bought some wooden letters that spell out my last name at Hobby Lobby, they ended up being .69 cents each. Then I brought them home and sanded down the rough edges. 


 I then lined them up on card board box, on my back deck and sprayed them black with spray paint. It took about 4 coats. 



 My dad had the spray paint on hand already which was convenient. This paint was matte, the last coat I did was gloss because the the partical board was really absorbing the matte paint. You'll probably want to prime it somehow before you actually paint. 



 I found this fabric which is actually upholstery fabric that I loved. I found just a scrap of it on clearance at, Hobby Lobby (which is my new favorite store). If I do another craft like this one, I'd probably stick with paper or a thinner fabric that way its a little easier to work with. 



 I also found a scrap of muslin at Hobby Lobby that I used to finish the project. 




 I started out, by tracing the letters on the opposite side of my fabric, then I cut it out just inside the lines so that it would be smaller than the actual wood letter.




After I'd cut all the letters out. 




Then I covered the entire letter with a good amount of Mod Podge. I just love Mod Podge. 




 I placed the fabric down on top of the coat of Mod Podge, then I covered the entire thing with more Mod Podge. I layed it on really thick because the fabric was so thick, and it ended up taking two coats. 




                        This is the project after it finished drying, I had to arrange it to fit in the frame.




                         I glued the DE and the ROSA letters together kind of off kilter with hot glue.




Then I cut strips of muslin to glue to the back of each letter so I could tie it onto the frame. I made sure that all the ties were the correct length so they'd all hang taught and the letters would be straight. 




This is the finished project, not bad for my first craft done by myself without the supervision of someone who knows better than me what to do.

3 comments: